Dr. Homi Bhabha Balvaidnyanik Competition is conducted by The Greater Bombay Science Teachers' Association since 1981 to encourage students to take interest in science, to inculcate scientific attitude and to search science talent in students and motive them towards basic sciences as well as to clear the scientific concepts among them.
- Who can participate: - Students studying only in 6th std. and 9th std.
- Medium :- English, Semi-English and Marathi
( Note :- Students participating from Semi-English can choose medium either English or Marathi as per their comfort level but once selected medium should not be changed for further level.)
- Boards :- All Boards (SSC / CBSE / ICSE / IB etc.)
- Regions :-
- MUMBAI : Mumbai and Mumbai suburban’s.
- THANE : Thane, Palghar, Raigad.
- PUNE : Pune, Solapur, Ahmadnagar.
- NASHIK : Nashik, Dhule, Jalgaon, Nandurbar.
- KOLHAPUR : Kolhapur, Satara, Sangli, Ratnagiri & Sindhudurg.
- AURANGABAD : Aurangabad, Jalna, Beed, Latur, Osmanabad, Nanded, Hingoli, Parbhani.
- VIDHARBH : Akola, Buldhana, Amravati, Washim, Yavatmal, Wardha, Nagpur, Bhandara, Gondia, Gadchiroli, Chandrapur
- Stages of Competition :-
- Phase I :- Written Competition
- Phase II :- Practical Competition
- Phase III :- A. General Interview and B.Evaluation of Action Research Project.
Structure of the Competition
|Phase No.||Description of the phase||Max
|Duration of exams||Selection Procedure|
|Written test :
100 multiple choice questions based on science & General Knowledge in science
|For VI std.:
There will be 5 experiments of 6 marks each based on general science.
(6 min per experiment)
|For IX std. :
a) Physics: 1 experiment
|b) Chemistry: 1 experiment||10||10 min|
|c) Biology: 10 questions based on 10 specimens||10||10 min|
a) General interview
5 to 10 min.
Selection for Medal : Considering 30% marks of Phase I, + Marks of Phase II & Phase III
|b) Evaluation of action research project||30||5 to 10 min.|
Less emphasis will be given for knowledge based questions and more emphasis for understanding, reasoning, correlation, application etc. Majority of the questions will be from S.S.C. board text books and Content related to the above from ICSE,IB and CBSE books. The questions related to general knowledge in science will be based on the topics like happenings in the past and science around day to day life.
- For 6th std.- Textbooks of 4th ,5th and 6th std. of S.S.C. syllabus and Content related to the above from ICSE ,IB and CBSE books.
a. About 10 % questions on 4th std. syllabus,
b. About 20 % questions on 5th std. syllabus,
c. About 60 % questions on 6th std. syllabus,
d. About 10 % questions on General knowledge in science.
- For 9th std. - Textbooks of VII ,VIII and IX std of S.S.C. syllabus and Content related to the above from ICSE,IB and CBSE books.
a. About 10 % questions on 7th std. syllabus
b. About 20 % questions on 8th std. syllabus,
c. About 60 % questions on 9th std. syllabus,
d. About 10 % questions on General knowledge in science
Date of Written Competition
Saturday, 5th October 2019 ( Tentative )
Timing :- 3.30 p.m. To 5.30 p.m
Written Competition Centers
All district in Maharashtra.
(We provide written exam center if more than 100 students are participating from that particular area.)
Practical Competition Centers
A. Mumbai Region – D. S. High school, Opposite Gurukripa Restaurant, Road Number 24, Sion (W), Mumbai -400022.
B. Thane Region - M.H. high school, Shivaji Path, near talao pali, Naupada, Thane West, Thane-400601.
C. Pune, Kolhapur, Nashik & Aurangabad Regions– MES Balshikshan Mandir English Medium School, 131, Mayur Colony, Kothrud, Pune 411 038.
D. Vidarbh Region - Bajaj Science Center, Gandhi Gyan Mandir's, Civil line, Wardha-442001
Venue of Interview and Evaluation of Action Research
D. S. High school, Opposite Gurukripa Restaurant, Road Number 24, Sion (W), Mumbai -400022.
Prizes- Medals and Scholarship
Considering 30% marks of Phase I, + Marks of Phase II & Phase III
- Merit wise Top 10% students will get Gold Medal, certificate and one time scholarship of Rs. 3000/-
- Next 60% students will get Silver Medal, certificate and one time scholarship of Rs. 2000/-
- Remaining all students will get Bronze Medal, certificate and one time scholarship of Rs. 1000/-.
(Separate trophy in following categories for each region)
- Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Trophy (Lakshvedhi Gunvatta Puraskar ) To School, - For remarkable performance which bags maximum medals..
- Vidnyan Jattha Trophy ( Kamal Sahbhag Puraskar ) – To School, For maximum participation.
Competition Fee :- ( per student and registration through school only)
I) Rs. 250 /- For All regions & All types of schools (With Regular Fee)
II) Rs. 300 /- With Late fee.
III) Rs. 500 /- For Individual registration ( Students who are not able to register his /her name through school.)
Registration for the competition should be done by online and through school only. If any student is not able to register his name through school then he/she can register his/her name individually using Individual Registration after 20th July.
How to pay registration fee.
- Collect the fee Rs. 250 /- per student t. Keep Rs. 20/- per student for School as processing fee of entire competition.
- Pay remaining fees amount (Rs. 230 /- per student) using following bank account details.
- Register on our official website www.msta.in by selecting ‘Online Registration’ given on homepage.
- There is no any cost or fee for School registration.
You are requested to pay the competition fee using following instructions & then register your students.
Bank Account Details :-
- Account Name : 'The Greater Bombay Science Teachers' Association'
- A/C No. : 36494310194
- Account Type : Current
- Bank : State Bank Of India
- IFSC Code : SBIN0000552
- Branch : Malad (W), Mumbai-400 064.
- Direct Bank Deposit (cash deposit / NEFT )
To deposit the fees through any branch of SBI, download and take a print out of SBI Bank’s challan which found after school log in on our website www.msta.in & fill up it carefully.Get the transaction ID or J No. from SBI Bank and note it on paying slip. Note that Use only one challan for both 6th & 9th Std. Transaction ID/J-No. is necessary for online registration.
- Using Net Banking
Use your Account of any bank. Login to your net banking account, add above account details as Beneficiary and transfer the competition fees. Take screenshot of transaction confirmation with UTR No. You have to use this UTR No. to ‘Add Student’
- Using Payment Gateway system ( by using Debit Card/ Credit Card / Net Banking ) method Given in add fee details which will found after school login.)
- Using Unified Payments Interface ( UPI) apps you can transfer the fees.
- Registration for the competition should be done by online and through school only.
- Registration done through private classes or academy will not be considered at any circumstances.
- Students from Semi-English medium school can choose only one medium either English or Marathi. Once the student selects the medium, it cannot be changed. It will remain same for all the remaining phases of the competition.
While filing up entry form :-
A) If your School is registered before or last year.
- Log on to www.msta.in and Click on ‘Apply online’ to Login your School.
- Use your last year’s login ID & password in ‘School Login’ which will be send by GBSTA on your registered school E-mail ID & by SMS. Dont register your School again clicking on ‘New School Registration’.
- Your School information will be displayed on screen. Make sure and confirm school details. Make necessary changes if required. And click on ‘update’ button.
B) If your School is not registered before.
- Log on to www.msta.in and Click on ‘Apply online’
- Click on ‘New School Registration.’ It is mandatory.
- Fill in all the details of school correctly. Don’t use any short form and signs.
- While filing above information write complete postal address of school with pin code. In case of incomplete address GBSTA will not responsible for the delay of correspondence.
- After filing all the detail correctly click on ‘submit’
- Now you will get the ‘login Id’ and ‘password’ of your school. It will be e-mailed on your school e-mail Id as well sms will be sent on mobile number of HM & Incharge science teacher which are registered at the time of school registration.
- This login Id and password is unique for each school. But it will be common for all the students (6th and 9th std.) of same school.
- Once you get the Login Id and password you have to keep ready the students list in the following format.
|Sr.No.||Name of candidate (in capital letter)||Gender||Std.||Medium||Mob. No. of|
|Surname||Student Name||Father Name||Mother Name||M/F||6/9||Mar/Eng||Parents|
Student Registration :-
(Note :-To register your students first pay the fee using given suitable methods of payment. Before deposit the exam fee you can’t register your students
- Log on to www.msta.in
- Click on school Login and enter your Login and password.
- Click on add fees and fill up all details. Upload photo copy of fee receipt and then click on submit button. (Total amount must be in multiple of Rs. 230/-)
- Now you can enter the student details one by one by clicking on ‘Add student’ button.
- If there are more number of students you can register your all students at once using ‘Bulk Registration’.
- For bulk registration click on ‘Bulk Registration’.
- Download template and Save on Desktop then Log out.
- Open saved file of template on Desktop and fill details of all students and save file.
- Then Log on using school login and click on ‘Bulk Registration’ then click on upload student. Browse and select the file template saved on desktop and click on upload.
- Now you will see list of all students.
- Save this file by clicking on save button and also take a printout.
- You can edit and correct the students details by clicking on action button provided in front of student name. Ensure that you have to do all corrections in registration period only. Failing to which you cannot change it at any stage of the competition.
- If you are unable to register all the student at a particular time or a day you may login again, register the remaining students using same procedure. (use same login Id and password)
- In case, some additional students want to appear for the competition, pay their fees in SBI bank and get new ‘J’ number or transaction ID from bank. By using same login Id and password follow the same above procedure.
- After completion of your registration, you will get email for the students enrolled.
- It is likely that, students from other schools may appear for the competiton in your school or students from your school may have to go to other school. Your kind co-operation is beseeched. Your school may be the center for the written competition.
- If the registration fees amount and number of students does not tally, entries of additional students stands cancelled.
- No replacement is allowed in case, if any candidate does not appear (remains absent) for the competition. Fees once paid is non refundable.
- ‘On the spot entries’ will not be allowed at any center at any circumstances.
- We ensure that no injustice is done to any student. Please note that no rechecking will be entertained at any stage of the competition.
Note - More information about written test is given in the Brochures which is available on our website www.msta.in. Please make it available for each student.